Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_11_] Muggles[_11_] is offline

Default Drop shelf on potting bench

On 5/26/2016 3:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 3:39:46 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2016 11:21:29 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:
Actually, that last one looks pretty easy since it could be glued
up from individual, easy to cut pieces. Each of the 4 sections could
be made from 2 flat strips and a center block. Glue
the pieces together and then sand to shape.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2768/...06c3aabb_z.jpg

I might try that this weekend just for fun.

hmmm I'm not sure I've seen how that's made before. I might could
figure out how to do that... not sure.

Cut a small block of wood that is the exact same width as the panel.
Cut 2 thin strips that are about twice as long as the block.
Glue the strips to the side of the block.
Drill a hole in the block
Repeat 2 more times
Position as shown and glue/screw to panel
Insert peg through the holes
Center spacer between the upper and lower hinge sections might be optional,
but would be made the same way, just shorter and without a hole.

(Each section could actually be cut from a single piece of wood, but gluing
on the side strips would be much easier than cutting a perfect notch)

Ok ... I understand how you're making it. That would be a nice touch,
but I'm not sure I've got access to a sander to round off the edges like
in the photo. It's a sure bet my hands aren't steady enough to cut a
perfect notch, too.

It might be a bit of overkill, though, for a potting bench. Kind of a
fancy hinge for something that's just going to be getting dirty. Who
knows ... I might get inspired and try.

thanks!
--
Maggie