Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Answering Machine Backup Batt

On 5/24/2016 7:37 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
On 05/24/2016 07:22 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

At the risk of being simple minded, I see a couple
posible reasons:

1) Low quality battery, doesn't have much
energy to begin with.
1a) You do use alkalines, yes?

2) Problem with the machine, excess current
draw. Possibly dried out capacitor.
2a) I don't know the normal current draw. But
with a VOM and devices using 9 volt battery
clips, not hard to check current draw.

Thanks for the quick turnaround, Stormin. (So use to you being over at
the locksmithing ng.) I did try fresh 9V alkalines. I wouldn't think a
dried-out cap would be a problem, but what about a leaky cap? A VOM in
series with the batt connected to the answering machine indicated a
current draw of less than 1 mA with the AC adapter connected. I'm
wondering why there should be any current drawn from the batt when
powering from AC. Sincerely,

Quite all right. Woke up, check the messages, and
there you are! I still follow the locksmith NG, but
much less action there.

I'm unsure about dried out or leaky cap. The one man
I know who would instantly be able to answer that....
died about a month ago.

Also don't know about the 1 mA current draw. Wish I
were more help.

--
..
Christopher A. Young