Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
J.B. Wood[_2_] J.B. Wood[_2_] is offline

Default Answering Machine Backup Batt

Hello, all. I've got an ~8 year old GE brand answering machine (like
this one:
http://www.amazon.com/GE-29878GE1-Di.../dp/B00005NGRH)
that has worked flawlessly until about a month ago when the machine
announced "Low battery". As usual I replaced the 9v batt with a fresh
one and the announcement was gone. The next day I got the message
again. Took out the battery and checked with a VOM (yea I know it
wasn't under load) and the terminal voltage was only about 6 volts. Put
in another fresh battery and got the same results after a day. Prior to
all this the battery would last for at least a year without needing to
be replaced. In all other respects the device works fine but with a
nearly exhausted (or no battery) the box resets to defaults if the power
from the wall wart adapter is interrupted.

Any ideas what could be pulling the battery prematurely low? Thanks for
your time and comment. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: