Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Finding armoured cable underground

In message ,
writes
On Monday, 23 May 2016 12:09:28 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
We suspect there may be an underground junction box that fed a pond pump
in the past, but digging has not located this. We have consulted an
electrician who said the cost effective way would be to replace the
cable. His estimate was beyond our budget.
What is the best way for us to locate the cables underground?

Hire a CAT scanner and genny for the weekend, or find someone who's got one

http://www.cal-services.net/how-to

£46 for a weekend from Jewson Hire online
http://www.jewson.co.uk/tool-hire/su...eying/products
/7231/cable-avoiding-tool/
£50 a week from Speedy
https://www.speedyservices.com/24_60...avoidance-tool

Owain

I've been looking at that sort of thing, but wasn't sure how it would
work with armoured cable. I assume (probably wrongly) that the method of
looking for pipes rather than powered cable would have to be used.

He and I also have a track record of getting to "It has to be done this
weekend" and thus inducing the worst storms since records began, so I'd
like to be confident before hiring.
--
Bill