Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Riverside Cottage 2

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 23/05/16 09:09, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 22/05/16 23:01, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
You are normally filling from mains pressure - so that soon displaces
the air IME.

Just back from Suffolk! The underfloor heating pipes were all laid on
top of insulation and not routed through or over joists.

I asked how they attached the flooring and learned the chipboard was
glued at the half lap and simply laid on top of the slotted in heating
pipes!

I've heard of chip over insulation (free floating) with solid concrete
underneath - but not over joists.

Our ground floor will largely be chip over pipes slotted into insulation
on concrete oversite. The new bit is screed which I will tile.

Any thoughts about fitting insulation to PVC or shiplap clad dormers
prior to plasterboard.

Yes - make sure the chip has direct support points through to the
concrete - do not just float it. What happens (every time IME) is that
a) Washing machines shake the whole room; b) the insulation compresses
by doorways due to constant pummelling; c) Use celotex, not jablite -
it's a bit more crush resistant.

Fortunately we will only have a dishwasher in the kitchen. Tumble dryer
and WM are in the utility on screed. I take your point about the
doorways as this has been noticed with the existing chip over jablite.

They do make special non thermal bridging support blocks for this scenario.

OK

Personally, I prefer the screed and/or the concrete to be on top of
insulation - then at least you get a solid stable floor.

I think we are stuck with re-doing the existing for the old ground
floor. To change would mean burying the timber wall panels in screed.

--
Tim Lamb