Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Anyone using a surge suppressor on their washing machines?

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 12:01:49 PM UTC-4, westom wrote:
On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 5:48:30 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
Every modern electronic device that plugs into a wall outlet
that I've had apart, has 1 or more MOV's on the 120vac line in.

Again, protection is provided by how the entire thing works. We may add MOVs (or other devices such as avalanche diodes) to supplement that already robust protection.

I see, so now it's gone from appliances don't typically use MOVs period,
to they use them, but only to "supplement". Another failed attempt.
There isn't existing robust protection. Which of course is why you
just keep vaguely insisting that such protection exists, but can't
describe what the hell you claim it to actually be.

As I have been saying all along - and trader does not want to read it. Many appliances stopped adding MOV to still have robust internal protection. For example, Apple II once used MOVs. Later Apple stopped because better protection that is part of a PSU design made those MOVs irrelevant.

Provide us a schematic for an iMac or similar that shows it doesn't use MOVs
in the power supply. Then we'll believe you. So far, your record of accuracy
is near zero. For example, you just claimed that power companies will not
provide a warranty with their meter based surge protectors. I refuted that
in 30 secs. I've seen plenty of switching power supplies that use
MOVs. By what miracle of Apple design do you claim that Apple doesn't need
them? Note that so far you haven't told us how any appliance is already
protected from surges.

Why does he find MOVs in appliances? Because all appliance must already have robust protection. So MOVs are added to even increase that protection..

The bizarre nature of that logic and reasoning speaks for itself.

MOV only protect from metallic mode currents.

WTF is a "metallic mode current"? Did Maxwell know about that?

Protection from other destructive currents is performed by other parts already inside each appliance.

Alleged components which W Tom can't even name.

Best protection from those other surges is already inside electronics - with or without MOVs. MOVs may supplement robust protection that is already inside all electronics. But that protection exists even without MOVs.

I see, first they were not there at all. Now designers just put them
there as ornaments that don't really do anything.

Effective 'whole house' protection is installed so that robust internal protection inside appliances is not overwhelmed by something that might occur once every seven years.

With or without MOVs, all appliances still have robust protection provided by how other parts are designed. Trader intentionally misrepresents that to argue incessantly for egotistical gratification.

The lie repeated. And despite all this bloviating, still no description
of all that "robust" protection.