Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Anyone using a surge suppressor on their washing machines?

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 2:23:27 PM UTC-4, westom wrote:
On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 1:41:47 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
Why do you insist on lying and further embarrassing yourself?

Wow you do have an ego today. You attack to make yourself feel superior. Meanwhile reality is found in appliances. Eevn without using any protectors, all appliances already have superior internal protection. Even early electro-mechanical clocks were once upgraded in design to withstand over 2000 volt surges without damage. No protector parts were used.

All appliances routinely have robust protection rated at 600 volts, 1800 volts, 2000 volts, etc. And all feature this protection without protectors.. If a manufacturer wishes to upgrade that superior protection, he may also add protector parts. Meaning your denials are wasted bandwidth.

You really are the wasted bandwith. Anyone here who has any experience with
electronics and who has looked at any typical appliances with electronics
knows that they all have MOVs. I can't recall an last electronics board
for an appliance that didn't have them. I see that Littlefuse reference,
all their app notes went right over your head. No, we shouldn't believe
LF, that makes and sells MOVs as to where they are used: TV, phones,
washers, dryers, PC, printers, etc. They have app notes on how to use
them in all that and more. No, we should believe you, with nothing but
your flapping BS gums. You still haven't described how surge protection
is accomplished in all those appliances without using MOVs. Of course
that is because they actually do use MOVs. Even a curious child that
smashes them apart with a hammer knows that there are those round disk
things near where the power enters the unit.

Surges that are hundreds or thousand joules are routinely made irrelevant by protection already inside appliances.

Like Bud has told you a hundred times now, surges that are thousands of
joules don't make it to the appliance. And the same question remains.
Explain to us the physics whereby you claim that the modest amount of
surge protection in a typical cheap appliance will protect against thousands
of joules, while surge protection at a plug-in can't work, because it
has no earth ground? Of course you can't, because it would violate all
the laws of physics.

Informed consumers worry about destructive surges that might occur once every seven years. And that put all household appliances at risk. Informed consumers spend tens of times less money on a properly earthed 'whole house' solution to even protect those near zero plug-in protectors.

Reality does not change no matter how often you get your panties in a knot and still do not post any relevant or honest denials.

As usual, I will post the same answers next year since learning and civility appears to cause you difficulty.

Bud and I post links to the IEEE, NIST, Littlefuse, etc. You have your
flapping gums. And you want to talk about learning?

Others can learn why so many waste so much money on near zero protection. Some will adamently denial even when manufacturer numbers says something completely different. Plug-in protectors without a 'whole house' solution can even make damage and fire easier.

Show us where IEEE or NIST guides on surge protection say that. You can't
because they don't.