Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone using a surge suppressor on their washing machines?

On Fri, 20 May 2016 02:18:22 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 20 May 2016 01:57:13 -0400, Micky
wrote:

Now I"m just quibbing but you must mean major appliances. I've taken
toasters, table radios, etc. apart and there was no surge protection.

Most of these things are fairly immune to transients. A toaster will
just get momentarily and imperceptibly hotter for a few microseconds.
This stuff really did not become a huge issue until we started using
CMOS and that is everywhere now.
Microwaves and washing machines would still be fine if they did not
have that little circuit board. Usually the bad part is the clock.
We had a real nice "lightning damaged" microwave in our shop. I
drilled a hole through that touch panel and put in a spring wound
timer. It worked great.

On "inverter" microwaves you have a lot more to be damaged.