Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Anyone using a surge suppressor on their washing machines?

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 5:32:29 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
On Fri, 20 May 2016 01:41:02 -0700 (PDT), westom
wrote:

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 1:57:33 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
Here the statement should have skipped half of the first sentence and
been "Risk from surges () remains whether the AC service is overhead
or underground." That's all you are saying, but for some reason** you
want to say O vs. U doesn't matter, even though, if the risk is lower,
of course it matters.

No spin in that statement. Another has demonstrated why why surges can even enter a house from underground conductors or geology. He heard the arc of lightning current passing through his house. Ten second later, he heard the sound from that lightning entering earth some two miles distant.

I wouldn't have used the word before, but now I think that's just what
you're doing. Spinning. You didn't answer my questions.

Welcome to W Toms world. Been there, done that. You posed a simple, direct
question that goes to the heart of the issue, instead of answering it, he spins
and diverts. Of course your analysis is correct. The scenario with overhead
service conductors, power lines overhead down the street, provides a scenario
where damaging surges with more energy can arrive at the panel than the scenario
with them underground.

"Do you disagree that the risk with underground is lower?
If yes, then why do you say it doesn't matter which it is?"

I'm going to assume you know that one story about one house, or even
100 houses, does not make a risk as great when there are many 1000's
of houses with overhead wires whose contents are damaged by lightning.
So it does matter whether your service is overhead or underground.

Don't complain when politicians give you doubletalk. You do the
same.

How at risk are your household appliances? Geology is a major parameter.. That current enters on overhead or underground conductors - wires or pipes. A nearby struck tree can be a surge current connected directly into household applies - if a properly earthed 'whole house' solution is not implemented.

I don't care. That's not what I posted about or what I thought you
would address if you answered.

Welcome to W Toms world. It's like trying to have a conversation with a
bowl of jello.