Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Anyone using a surge suppressor on their washing machines?

On 05/19/2016 12:05 PM, wrote:

snip
All appliances contain robust protection. Your concern is a rare transient that might occur once every seven years. That transient must be connected low impedance (ie less than 3 meters) to earth BEFORE entering. Otherwise it will go hunting for earth destructively via appliances. Nothing adjacent to an appliance claims to 'block' or 'absorb' that transient. If anything needs that protection, then everything needs that protection.

Your assumption that all appliances contain robust protection is open
to discussion. and dissagreement.

Many years the utility pole directly behind my house got a direct
lightning hit. I was in the kitchen and almost lost it when I observed
the simultaneous lightning and thunder!

My answering machine was on the closest run to the outdoor wiring and
was taken out...but nothing else in the house was damaged.