Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car bodging

On Thursday, 19 May 2016 16:12:59 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2016 06:51:31 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

ISTR a handbrake-only stop from speed taking about quarter of a mile.
I'd hate to try that with a modern car, handbrakes are so crap now.

The *parking* brake on mine is vicious and electronic. There are
warnings in the handbook about operating the switch to ON when
moving. I'll have to re-read that bit but ISTR it basically boils
down to "don't" or if you do things might break and/or you may lose
control. I don't think it motors it on quite as fast as it does when
stationary but it's not gentle.

I presume such brakes are useless as backup braking. Locking both rear wheels at 70 sounds very dodgy.

NT