Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default Anyone using a surge suppressor on their washing machines?

On Wed, 18 May 2016 20:33:10 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 5/18/2016 7:56 PM, Steve Stone wrote:
A friend with a new state of the art super high tech electronic dash computer
controlled washer claims it is best to power the beast thru a surge suppressor.

Was wondering if the learned members of this group thought this was a good idea
or a not so good idea.

That depends on what you think you'll be protecting against,
whether your utilities are overhead or below grade,

So is one of these safer than the other?

where the
nearest step-down Xformer is for your little feed (usually,
~4 homes in a cluster).

In my case, I'm the 8th townhouse from the xformer. 7 x 22 feet is
154 feet. Does this mean the first house is the most vulnerable and
it gets less as the distance increases?

It also depends on the quality of surge protector you install.

Many are just "surge protectors" in name, only.

SPINOs?