Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car bodging

a écrit :
FWIW there was also an arrangement where vehicles had dual circuit brakes yet
failure of one circuit caused 100% failure on all wheels. My Y reg car had
that. If you drive an old car you might have that setup. (Y at the end not
the beginning.)

Back in the bad old days, I had a company car's single circuit brakes
fail on a hill down slope, on a back road, in Wales. Remember they only
fail when you use and need them. Not fun decending a hill with no
brakes. I put the handbrake on, used the lowest gear, but neither
enough to slow down, so I had to run it along a soft hedge to slow it
down.

I now habitually apply maximum pressure on the pedal, with the engine
running and whilst stood. That pressure will be far higher than you
would achieve in normal braking and is a better, more conclusive test
than looking at the pipes. No one can inspect the entire length of the
pipes for defects.

Clean them up, oil them, leave it to soak in, then grease them. If you
can then add some of that small, split electrical tube (commonly used
on car wiring), at the more exposed sections - all the better.