Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Inside Electric Mountain: Britain's biggest rechargeable battery

At 4 sq meters per hundred watts, that's 40 sq meters for a killer-watt
or 40 sq km for a gigawatt?

Covering that much land by panels could be expected to have a
significant impact on the shaded land.

Today I noticed a fairly substantial commercial building roof covered by
panels. (A typical industrial estate cheap warehouse/factory/B&Q type of
construction.) Strikes me that, so long as the panels are going to be
deployed, those roofs are probably the most appropriate locations.
Rather than a few square metres on each of hundreds or thousands of
houses. Or covering up more land. Also might help to reduce maximum
temperature in the building.

--
Rod