Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car bodging

On 18/05/16 17:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 18/05/16 12:39, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so it is overdue for an MOT. Probably done 1000 miles in the year,
barn stored.

Couple of advisories on last years.... brake pipes slightly corroded
near flex hose joint and inner side walls slightly deteriorated on rear
tyres.

Not much I can do about the tyres but wire brush off any brake pipe rust
and coat with..?

No, get the bloody things replaced. I've had brake failure..

Regular event on early Minis. Usually snatchy brakes from corroded
cylinders though.

I think a limited mileage, stored under cover slightly corroded pipe is
not going fail totally in 12 months.

The point is there is no 'partial failure' mode with brakes. Either the
pipes hold up to the pressure, or you have either no brakes, or, if its
a dual master cylinder, one diagonal pair of brakes only.

And all there is left is a hand brake and the engine braking.
Ive been lucky. Ive had front suspension fail, and brakes fail and both
were at low speed.

Ive also had a bonnet blow up in my face at 70mph in the fast lane of
the A1. Not so nice.

I am as parsimonious on unnecessary repairs as the next man, but brakes
I don't mess with. Typically even at garage rates, they are not
expensive to fix.

I'll be fitting two new discs and pads on the Hippo* in a few months,
not because it wouldn't pass a test, but because I've noticed the
braking isn't quite all there when I need it.

I'll report what they have to say.

*https://www.landyzone.co.uk/attachments/12-jpg.3353/

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller