Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car bodging

On 18/05/16 15:59, Phil L wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so it is overdue for an MOT. Probably done 1000 miles in the year,
barn stored.

Couple of advisories on last years.... brake pipes slightly corroded
near flex hose joint and inner side walls slightly deteriorated on
rear tyres.

Not much I can do about the tyres but wire brush off any brake pipe
rust and coat with..?

Brake pipes which rust are made from heavily plated steel. By the
time it starts on the outside, who knows what the inside is like?
They're not expensive to replace - just sometimes time consuming. You
can get them made from material which doesn't rust.

For the sake of an extra £10 on the cost of a new car, I can't see why they
can't make them from copper in the first place, using steel is outdated.
Copper is the norm for replacement brake pipes.

Except it is prone to work hardening due to vibration and fracturing -
as I found out from personal experience.