Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First they came for lightbulbs

On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 13:02:11 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 22:55:37 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

When you switch a kettle off it doesn't stay boiling for very long
does it.

No reason why it should - if you only boil enough for your immediate
needs.

That can't be done

Even sillier than you usually manage.

I do that all the time, in the microwave, in the cup I will drink it
from.

That figures, I've rarley done it and for me the tastse is differnt.

Because your kettle is adding **** to the water, most obviously the scale..

How does a kettle add scale to water ?

As I said yuo always have to biol more water than you
need for the cup or vessel you wish to drink from.

As I said, what gets lost in the boiling is a trivial part

No it isn;t because to boil water you need to put in a lot of energy,
something to do with the latent heat of evaporation.

I wasnt talking about the energy there, just the water that gets lost.

I dont; care about the water it's cheap it;s the electricity that costs the money when boiling it.
I don;t care if I 'lose' a few ml of water it's virtually free as I have unmeterred water and DO NOT have unmetered electricity.

as I said you need more water in the kettle than you are planing on
drinking.

And you need **** all more than you are planning on drinking
when you heat it in the microwave in the vessel you will be
drinking it from.

But that's not as quick or as effcient and the cups handle gets hot too and I dont like the taste of re-heated tea.

https://www.quora.com/Does-reheating...ange-its-taste

Is this due to cooling and reheating process independent of the microwave oven? Tea experts tell us that water for fine teas should only be boiled once, and that it can become "flat" with re-boiling.

"Tea Party Girl" references water usage mistakes common to people struggling to find the perfect cup of tea: over-boiling releases too much oxygen from the water making it flat, and microwaved water tastes "tinny." I cannot verify these things scientifically, but these are fairly common statements concerning tea and water.

I use a cordless kettle, so if I want to make one cup of tea I get the mug
I will use fill that with water and put that in the kettle then boil it..
If I want two mugs I put two mugs of water in ... see how this works
could you work out how many mugs of water I'd put in my kettle if
I wanted to make 3 cups of tea. ?

Too much farting around. Makes more sense to mark the kettle which
has a proper gauge on the side with where you need to fill it for the
number of mugs of water you do often.

but then I have to take the kettle to the sink, what usualy happens in that I wash my mug/cup with warm water, fill it with cold them empty it into the kettle then switch the kettle on.

Seems simple enough.

Now remmeber what I said about adding more water than you will be
drinking....
So when I fill a mug up with water there's is more water in that mug than
there will be when the water is HOT. Because :-
1/ because of the volume of the tea bag I can't get the same amount of
water in there plus tea bag..
2 I have milk so when emptying the boiling water in to teh mug
containing the teabag I have to leave about ~15% from the top lip so I can
put the milk in.
3/ I also allow for stiring & sugar so again I don;t fill the cup up with
hot water.
4/ I have to carry it from one room to the next so again I don't fill the
mug up with hot water+milk.
5/ another reason I take the water to the kettle rather than the kettle to
the water is because my previous kettle became fault due o the central
connection bit it seemd to fail before the eliment and on a few occasions
sparked.

None of that **** when you heat the water in the
mug in the microwave and drink coffee instead of tea.

As I said I don't like nuked tea, nuked coffee isn't as bad.
But I don't like a cup with a hot handle.
It also seemed to take longer in the mircowave than the ketkle.

teh more steam that comes out teh lower the effeciancy

So you have a kettle which stops heating as soon as any steam comes out.

Well it switches itself off when boiling something a microwave oven can't do.

Not exactly rocket science.

Microwave ovens can't do it.

and the more it is costing for that cup of tea,

Not with a properly designed kettle.

Yep even bably designed kettle are better at heating water,
another reason not to bother using teh microwave oven for making tea.

the rest of yuor **** flushed where it belongs.