Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_12_] Graham.[_12_] is offline

Default What makes a bathroom a bathroom?

On Sun, 15 May 2016 08:38:39 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 13/05/2016 19:37, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/13/2016 2:28 PM, polygonum wrote:

On a slightly different tack, having looked at numerous Right Move,
Zoopla and builders' own descriptions, I am getting heartily sick of
bathrooms without baths! If it only has a shower, let it be a shower
room or dream up some other name, anyone for "indoor rain room"?

Property descriptions in the US have 'half-baths'. Toilet and washbasin,
no bath or shower.

How odd! The name makes me think of those very short baths

Yes, house I lived in as a teenager had one of those for us
kids, we had our own bathroom at our level of the house.

with two levels.

Ours didn’t have that, it was just a square bath that was otherwise
like a normal bath, but square instead of oblong and you couldn’t
lie down in it, but you could sit in it.

The ones I remember from 1960 were basicly a large Belfast sink with a
Weir overflow. The place in question was opened in 1922, and they
might well have been that old.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%