Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One very productive Saturday...

On 16/05/16 19:39, Andrew wrote:
On 15/05/2016 23:02, newshound wrote:
On 5/15/2016 10:34 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
Me and mate stripped 90% of the plasterboard from upstairs:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...h/27036905425/

That really looks excessively clean and tidy!

:-)

Where is the RSJ that should be supporting the ridge ?. Assuming
this is a loft or dormer conversion ?.

Er, it's that 9x3" bloody big beam held up by a column at each end.

The conversion was done in ancient history before anyone cared much (1970s).

I've done some fag packet calcs and even with maximum SE England snow
600kg-f per column. The original 3" column on the left was a bit slim,
which is why we tapped in an extra 4x4" whose max load ability is around
2000kg-f. All columns bear down onto load bearing brick walls.

So I'm not unhappy.