Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repaired boiler PCBs - invalid insurance?

In article ,
newshound wrote:
ISTR Geoff, who owns a company which repairs such things, saying that
over a period of time you get to know what things fail on a particular
make, but is not allowed to improve the design by using uprated parts.
It has to be repaired like for like.

Actually the definition of "like for like" is not so straightforward. To
take a slightly silly example for convenience, you can get an unbranded
13A socket from B&Q to a given BS, or you can get an MK one meeting the
same BS. We all *know* that the MK one is likely to be better made. So
if the OEM uses unbranded, but Geoff uses MK he is actually making an
expert judgement being made that he has met the "like for like"
criterion, and has improved on the original. If it went to court, I am
sure he would not have much difficulty finding an FIEE to support his
decision, and no insurance company would in practice ever try to fight
it.

Things sharing the same BS number can hardly be described as 'uprating'.
I'd also dispute that MK always produces a better product than others.

Uprating would be changing, say, a 5 amp relay known to give problems for
perhaps a 10 amp one. That sort of thing. Which might even involve
producing a new PCB.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.