Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One very productive Saturday...

Me and mate stripped 90% of the plasterboard from upstairs:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...h/27036905425/

The floor is protected with DPM sheet (that was a total win in terms of
clearing up - as was a new Henry which did not clog all the time despite
lots of dust).

Zero mess in the rest of the house as we lobbed the PB out the window
onto the drive - into a taped off area of course!

You now see the timber frame in all its glory - with 50mm celotex (75 in
hipped parts) already fitted when roof was retiled.

That filled a mega-hippo bag (medium one) which was a gross under
estimate! Luckily I only paid for the bag and not a collection, so I'm
booking a midi skip next week (which works out half the price).

Next, I am not too happy with some of the woodwork so we're running 6x2"
all around the top edge screwed into the uprights to add stiffness.

The front-2-middle of those (4 in all) can be screwed to the not
insubstantial flat roof centre beam (a lump of 9x3") and the other ends
to the dormer face support columns - which will add considerable
stiffness to the walls.

We'll attempt to block vapour with foil tape and PU glued sections
between the new wood (exposed to the room) and the old wood (exposed to
the cold side) to avoid too much moisture migrating through.

We'll also add some 2x4" along the sloping edges screwed through the
uprights and into the rafter behind for the same reason.

Screws will be:

http://www.spax.com/uk/craftsmen/scr...l-thread-wirox

which I had to buy from Amazon.de as they're hard to get here - but they
look just the job for pinning wood like this.

That should be a fairly quick job - so then, we'll infill with another
50mm of celotex (25 on hipped) to get 100mm overall as the BCO will be
happy with.

The next planned bit will be to plasterboard under the hipped roof right
into the loft voids (fire protection and celotex is not very good when
bashed about by stored stuff and heads).

The main room walls and flat roof will be battened out with 40mm ish
wood and the plasterboard fixed to that. That, at the expense of a
couple of inches on all room dimensions (still leaves a 2m ceiling and
plenty of space) will leave some nice cable voids.