Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Repaired boiler PCBs - invalid insurance?

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 15/05/2016 08:27, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 14/05/2016 05:27, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 13/05/2016 13:05, wrote:
On Friday, 13 May 2016 11:51:44 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
On 13/05/2016 11:16, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 13 May 2016 10:00:39 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
On 13/05/2016 05:58, Rod Speed wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd just not mention it and assume it was fine. After all all
the pcbs
have to be the same whether repaired or new, if the circuit was
dangerous then the device would be dangerous no matter what pcb
was in
it.

ISTR Geoff, who owns a company which repairs such things, saying
that
over
a period of time you get to know what things fail on a
particular make,
but is not allowed to improve the design by using uprated
parts. It
has to
be repaired like for like.

Who did he claim wouldnt allow that ? No one gets to not allow
that.

In order to get Gas Council (not sure if its still called this)
approval
you have to submit a technical file of the boiler concerned.

Any change would invalidate that certification.

do you need such approval for a used boiler?

If you can install an old boiler past building control, then I
suspect
it will already have get a Gas Council certificate.

What I meant was do you really need GC approved parts to fit to an
old boiler.

And of course a 600v capacitor is specced to do 400v, so is upgrading
from 400v to 600v (eg) really a problem.

I take your point, the issue is that some parts of a boiler are deemed
safety critical. A whole PCB may be such an item where the
manufacturer has no intention of it being repairable.

Doesnt matter what the manufacturer's intention is, what matters
is what the law requires with repairs to something that has failed.

I just dont believe that any law says that when something has failed
due to inadequate specs with a particular component like a cap or a
relay that there is anything to prevent someone repairing that device
from replacing the component which has failed with a higher rated
component, whether that is a higher voltage or temperature rating
on a cap or a higher current rating on the relay contacts etc.

For replacement car parts there is.

That's a lie with the replacement of failed components on a pcb in a car.

And you are free to replace the supplied
headlights with better performing ones too.

********, I cannot legally change my quartz halogen for HID lamps.

You are free to do plenty of other changes to better performing components.

And you are free to use better caps on a pcb than the
**** it was originally supplied with that have failed too.