Daniel L. Belton

Default testing ATX power supply

That was a very good source for information!

tempus fugit wrote:

Geezzh!

Thanks a lot - that will come in handy.

"petrus bitbyter" wrote in message
.. .

"tempus fugit" schreef in bericht

Hey all;

A friend handed me her dead computer to see if I could get it up and
running. When you turn it on, nothing happens. No lights, no fans,

nothing.

So, I figure it's either the power supply or the motherboard (at least).

I want to test the PS first, before just replacing it. It is an ATX 300w
supply. I connected an 8 ohm 10W resistor from red (+5v) to black

(ground)

and turned it on, but nothing happened. I then turned it on and shorted

the

green wire to ground, but still nothing. Can I assume the PS is dead, or

is

there something else I should be doing?

Thanks

Hooi,

I ever wrote a reply on repairing PC power supplies. It follows below.

snip