Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default Rentor check out

On 5/14/2016 10:02 AM, KenK wrote:
How can a landlord reliably check out a potential rentor? If you ask for s
reference what's stopping them from having a friend say they are a previous
landlord and giving them a good recomendation? I know of no way to verify
that person's phone call.

I am asking because my last tenant wrecked the rental and I'd prefer this
not happen again.

Of course I should inspect but I'd never had a bad tenant before and it
didn't occur to me.

Suggestions?

TIA

You'd be surprise what you can find on your own, though, not as much as
hiring a PI or someone with access to a database which will display past
addresses, along with other personal info. You can find those addresses
and determine home or apt. Then you can search the county record of
deeds to find owners of such addresses. Then you can contact the owners
for references.

There are several sites online which claim to offer much info and past
residence for a fee, but I'm unaware of their legitimacy and accuracy. I
do think some may be fairly accurate since I have compared their brief
provided info to what I actually know.