Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bye-bye land line telephone

On Sat, 14 May 2016 08:57:03 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 10:31:13 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
I mainly want protection from dropouts, brownouts, etc. If the power
is going to fail, I can drag out a laptop. But, I'd hate to lose what
I am working on just because the lights flickered... It's also
amusing how easy it is to FORGET what (exactly) you were doing when
the screen unexpectedly goes black!

Ironically, when the power does go out I know I can still keep working on
the UPS power for a while. So, I'm usually in no hurry to shut things down
and stop working. Of course, at some point the battery power runs out and
the system shuts down automatically. It's my own fault for not stopping
gracefully when I had warning, but I get a false sense of endless power and
just keep working.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

When the power goes out, the cellphone works for me. I'm sure people
will say it's not as reliable as copper, etc, but IMO, not worth all
the worrying about extreme hypothetical situations. Each has it's
advantages and disadvantages.

I have been through several hurricanes here in Florida. Internet is
the first thing to go. Power failures will take that out, even if it
is not bad where you are. Anything up on a pole is going to go early
too so power is at risk. Cell phones are going to be spotty and cable
TV is worse.
Phone infrastructure is buried in my area and I have never lost my
POTS phone and my DBS satellite comes back as soon as the sky clears.
Broadcast TV was still there in the storm.