Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default Are these the same or is more expensive better?

On Fri, 13 May 2016 16:09:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 5:41:56 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
Spring is here and it's time to work on the scooter I think I posted
about last fall. This is a TaoTao 49/50cc scooer made in the
People's Republic of China.

The carburetor needs a cleaning, or I can buy a new one. Matching
ones range from $18 to a little over $50. URLs available if wanted.
Do you think there is a positive correlation between price and
quality? A negative one? Any one? Or are they all really the
same thing? I once saw a particular model of camera for sale online
for between 50 and 200 dollars, very same thing.

If a difference in quality, where would low quality show itself?

The only difference apparent from the photos is that the diaphragm
cover on mine and some is metal and the one on others is black, maybe
metal, maybe plastic, but it's not a part that gets hot. Even plastic
should be fine.

The $22 one has the most pictures and is certain identical to mine,
but it's in China and delivery is claimed to take 4 to 6 weeks The
others have from 4 to 1 pictures andI can't find any differences, but
they are in Chicago or South Carolina and will be here in 3 or 4 days.
What are the chances any of them won't work just as well.

what kind of a scooter??????

A TaoTao 50cc 4-cycle scooter, probably model ATM50-A1**

All of the 50's are really 49cc, so that they can fall under more
lenient laws, that seem common in many, many US states, but they can
still be licensed to ride on the street. They go up to 35 mph iirc,
depending on how much the driver weighs.

Here are some of the carburetors for sale. When I fear the others
won't match, I think they'll still screw in place, but maybe the
opening to the intake manifold will be a different diameter, or other
ports will be different. All of these are rated 4 stars or more.

It's the 50 dollar one I wonder about especially and the difference if
any between that black cover and the metal cover:

This is only 18 and in the US:
http://www.buyatvpartsonline.com/car...j-p-11308.html

The one is in China but I'm certain it matches, because it has so many
pictures that match:
http://www.amazon.com/50cc-18mm-Carb...A1HW0E1TRCDRAJ

This one is $51 and in the US, KEIHIN brand?:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01304EI78?psc=1

This is $22 + 4 shipping, in the US and claim "jet upgrades Scooter
Moped ATV" Upgraded jets for better starting, idling and performance.
85 main, 32 pilot jet. Additional 90 main jet included separately if
you find that you need more fuel:
http://www.amazon.com/Scooter-Carbur... QVBP7CCR830ZW

$24 and in the US, "with Jet Upgrades":
http://www.amazon.com/49cc-Scooter-C... QVBP7CCR830ZW
This is $26, in the US, says works up to 80cc and on mopeds, sold by
GOOFIT:
http://www.amazon.com/GOOFIT-Carbure...KQVBP7CCR830ZW

There was one other in China but I don't see it now, but if I were
going to buy from China with the long delay, I'd buy the one listed.