Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Update update

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 5:13:21 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 05/13/2016 03:27 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:58:12 -0500, philo wrote:

Did have BeOS at one time.

I do have Plan 9 and several versions of OS/2 though

Though I mainly use Linux, I've got both XP and Win7 machines at my
disposal.

I never have been able to get any form of linux to do much of anything
other than to **** me off, but OS/2 was something I really liked back in
it's day, and at that time, it looked like it would replace Windows.
Although they claim differently, I think MS bought them out because they
did not want the competition. Probably the biggest failure in the
history of personal computers.

If OS/2 had succeeded, we'd probably all be using it now, especially
since MS began their attempts to force their latest spyware disasters
(Win 8 and 10) on us.

I just loved OS/2

As to Linux, it's very easy now and works quite well.

I use it as my full time OS but still find Windows quite a necessity.

I'm now in the habit of using the Chrome OS because my 11.6" Chromebook and bag are so easy to grab when I'm being whisked away to a medical facility. There's room in the bag for my wallet, keys, paperwork, thumbdrives, cellphone and charger. At home, I have XP, Vista and Win7 machines along with Linux boxes. When I was working, my customers were using Windows on their office computers and even POS,"Point Of Sale" systems. There were some systems I worked on that had Linux even some embedded versions. I had no customers who were using Apple computers or Chrome OS computers. Since the majority of customers are using Windows computers, it's necessary to be proficient in the use of Microsoft products. If I'm able to work again someday and everyone starts using Apple computers, I'll be out of luck. I really like Chrome but I don't know anyone else who's using it. At one time I was concerned that the Chrome OS was going away but it turns out that Google is not going to drop Chrome but the company has been working on merging Android and Chrome. I guess my little Chromebook is safe for now. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Chrome Monster