Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Atheists religious

On Fri, 13 May 2016 09:37:46 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 5/13/2016 1:23 AM, Bod wrote:
On 13/05/2016 05:09, Muggles wrote:
On 5/12/2016 10:44 PM, wrote:

Compared to non-believers, the religious participants showed
significantly less activity in the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC), a
portion of the brain that helps modify behavior by signaling when
attention and control are needed, usually as a result of some
anxiety-producing event like making a mistake. The stronger their
religious zeal and the more they believed in God, the less their ACC
fired in response to their own errors, and the fewer errors they
made...

Their findings show religious belief has a calming effect on its
devotees, which makes them less likely to feel anxious about making
errors or facing the unknown.[7]

Interesting! thanks for posting it.

Did you just say "religious belief has a calming effect on its
devotees, which makes them less likely to feel anxious about making
errors or facing the unknown"?

Religion *introduces* fear into believers, ie: hell.

hmmm If a person is guilty, they often fear the consequences. Don't
you think that's normal?

Hmm! I'd better be good or I'll suffer eternal damnation etc.

Consequences to ones actions are normal.

Much of religion is based on *fear of the unknown*.

Much of what people actually do is because they fear the unknown.

" If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't know what I know now"