Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Update update

On 5/13/2016 10:10 AM, philo wrote:
On 05/13/2016 11:30 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 5/13/2016 9:17 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:
How to get WinXp updates from MSFT till 2019, seems to work.... it's
pretty
simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPo3eF0RsvA

I wouldn't trust that. XPe is not the same product as XP.
And, by installing the registry hack, you are *claiming*
that you are running XPe. If the update process takes
your word for it, it will blindly install updates that WILL
work on XPe but that might NOT work on XP! In the process,
wedging your system (how do you "back out" the offending update?
Call MS and complain -- and beg for help??)

I still have a few...not in use XP machines , so I might be willing to try the
experiment.

Windows XP embedded is really all the same components as a standard XP install,
it's simply that corporations using it can customize to leave out un-needed
components

In an embedded environment, the resources available are often
of significantly different character.

E.g., you may not have "secondary storage" (disk).
Or, you may have it just to *load* executables -- swapping to it
may not be possible (read/only) or *durable* (flash with limited
write cycles).

How you approach a problem (in software) depends in large part on
the resources that you expect to have available.

If, for example, you can read some large object into memory
(e.g., the registry) and crosslink individual records (to
expedite future accesses to that data), you can choose to:
- leave it there knowing it will get swapped out to disk
as needs for memory increase
- explicitly write it *once* to "disk" (flash) with the
expectation that you won't be updating it (much) and can
just re-read the portions that you need AS you need them
- never load it in the first place and, instead, read it off
the immutable medium and go through the efforts of extracting
the data more slowly

XPe boxes tend to have fewer and limited applications -- you're unlikely
to find AutoCAD running on an XPe box! Often, those applications can
remain resident in memory (RAM) and not need to swap.

XPe boxes probably have fewer network interfaces (I can put 2 dozen
network interfaces in my desktop machines; I have *four* in a little
SBC machine... on the same PCI card!). This simplifies the routing
tables and overall design of the network stack. They probably
need fewer sockets as you're unlikely to have several "network
applications" active simultaneously.

Etc.

It's like saying a motorcycle with sidecar is the same as a big Buick.