Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Etiquette question:

On 05/13/2016 04:07 AM, Sam I Am wrote:
On 05/12/2016 10:02 AM, philo wrote:
A guy pulled up to my neighbor's house in a pickup truck. There is a
refrigerator and dolly in the bed. He's standing around looking like
he needs help.
What's the best thing for me to do...close my shades and curtains...or
is simply pulling my shades "good enough?"
I don't want to be rude.

Two competent people can safely unload a refrigerator from a pickup truck.
However, how can you possibly know how competent the truck driver is?

In a situation like this, I'd hide. ;-)

yep, my wife and I went shopping and when I returned home I wrote this

Grocery Line Queue

Let's face it, I'm a ruthless asshole and we are all ruthless assholes.
Some of us simply know how to behave in public. Most of us try.

So here I am in the grocery store and we all hate that experience.
Standing in line behind some €śjerk€ť who has too many groceries who
remembers...after the sale...his coupons. Even Guru Raghavendra is
cursing €śthat moron€ť and the cashier who is €śnot the brightest bulb€ť in
the economy pack of 100 watters.

And time's a wastin'.

Here we are in a country where any possible food we could want is at our
fingertips 24 hours a day and affordable. Half the earth's people will
never have this luxury and it may take weeks or months of grueling hard
labor just to eke out a few crumbs of sustenance.

€śSorry I'm late dear, it was horrible. I had to stand in line for 15
goddamned minutes! I'll never go to that store again! Disgusting!€ť

Yesterday, like a million other days was one of the above.

As I finally got my goods on the conveyor, the blank-looking woman asked
me the same required and generic question she's been saying by rote 500
times a day for the last 500 years, €śDid you find everything all right?€ť

I was so utterly disgusted by the whole ordeal that I said sarcastically
to my wife, €ś Did we find everything all right?€ť Then sarcastically say
to the cashier, €śHow nice of you to ask.€ť

Weird. As soon as the words €śhow nice€ť came out of my mouth the sarcasm
melted, fell through a crack in the floor and vanished. Really? Oh my, I
really meant it by the time my sentence was completed!

As the groceries were being tabulated, my wife efficiently bagged them
and the cashier and I chatted about everything under the sun. She closed
her line and told the man approaching she was going €śon break.€ť

When everything was bagged, carted and paid for we continued talking for
quite some time. When we bid each other adieu and parted good friends, I
saw her running towards the bathroom.