Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default Repaired boiler PCBs - invalid insurance?

On 13/05/2016 15:19, RobertL wrote:
On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 3:06:50 PM UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:
In article , Fredxxx
wrote:
I take your point, the issue is that some parts of a boiler are
deemed safety critical. A whole PCB may be such an item where
the manufacturer has no intention of it being repairable.

It's very odd. As you say most makers only supply new ones. No
need to go to the bother of fixing them if they can con you into
paying for new.

My Viessmann PCB hasa several PCB fuses - the soldered in sort so
not user replaceable, unlike the main one. Yet they don't offer a
repair service for it. So why make it more expensive to
manufacture than actually needed - if it is a throw away part
when faulty?

I entirely agree with your sentiment, hence why I wholeheartedly
support the likes of Geoff.

Not so long ago, circuit diagrams were published for TVs and video
recorders and the like.

My old (1976) Tandberg reel-to-reel came with a full circuit diagram.
The design was very simple and easy to work on. I was told this was
because the director of Tandberg back then (who had a fairly simple
knowledge of electronics) would only allow the manufacture of things
that he could personally understand and fix.

That is because they were simple, in fact incredibly simple.

I'd be surprised if anyone here could explain the intricacies of speech
compression in terms that could be transcribed into software.