Daniel L. Belton

Default testing ATX power supply

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"tempus fugit" writes:

Hey all;

A friend handed me her dead computer to see if I could get it up and
running. When you turn it on, nothing happens. No lights, no fans, nothing.
So, I figure it's either the power supply or the motherboard (at least).

I want to test the PS first, before just replacing it. It is an ATX 300w
supply. I connected an 8 ohm 10W resistor from red (+5v) to black (ground)
and turned it on, but nothing happened. I then turned it on and shorted the
green wire to ground, but still nothing. Can I assume the PS is dead, or is
there something else I should be doing?

Thanks

That should do it assuming your AC power is present.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Not on an ATX supply. The PS won't powerup unless the motherboard
signals the everything is good first. You have to ground the green wire
in the ATX connector.