Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bye-bye land line telephone

On Thu, 12 May 2016 15:51:45 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 5/12/2016 1:38 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 12:56:05 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

A battery will usually fix those "Bad" UPSs. They are not horribly
expensive online. That is why I have so many units around here. They
all came with bad batteries for free. I still have a few dead soldiers
back in my shop but I am UPSed out here. ;-)
There only seems to be 2 basic sizes with either 1 or 2 in each UPS
(APC).

That's only for the smaller, consumer-ish units -- 12V 7.2AHr batteries.

I have a couple of these:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-SMART-UPS-1500-SUA1500-UPS/dp/B000T53NE6
Which take the battery pack:

I have one just like that on my TV and sat box and you can replace
that "battery pack" with 2 batteries of equal AH that end up being
about $40 less if you shop around.

I don't care about the price. My point is that there are far
more variations in batteries -- battery sizes and numbers thereof.
I have a UPS that takes *one* battery. Some two. Others 4.
At one point, I had one that took *10* of the 12V 7.2AHr units
(it was the size of a dishwasher).

I have worked in places with a room full of group 27 deep cycle
batteries stacked 3 high in racks to power the UPS but this is not
what we are talking about.
APC uses 2 basic batteries in the half dozen or so units I have here.
In some units they just glue a couple together to create a "battery
pack" that they charge handsomely for, I suppose people who can't read
specs and do a little shopping appreciate the simplicity so APC does
it. There are plenty of customers who just throw the UPS away when the
battery is dead.
These are industry standard parts and I want to get them at the best
available price. I certainly have not noticed that much difference
between the life of a APC sourced part and one I get from a battery
wholesaler. The wholesaler actually tends to have fresher ones.