Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fluke 8060a meter interconnect strip

On Thu, 12 May 2016 08:15:45 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 11:30:18 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2016 15:07:53 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

And if that's your ground mail, I can send you two screws I have off a
non-working 85 that I think needs a main chip. This meter crapped about
8 years ago and I misplaced one of the screws, but if you want the other
two, they're yours. I'm on the east coast so it'll be a week.
John

Thanks. Got the screws today. They fit nicely in the 8060A. However,
there's a bit of an oddity here.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Fluke%208060a/Fluke-screws.jpg
The Model 85 screws fit in the 8060A, but the original screws (as
borrowed from an 8024A) are a bit different. Notice the double
spiral, the different pitch, and that the 8024a screw is a bit larger
diameter. Which style does your 8060A use?

The screws from my IBM 8060A are the double helix.

Thanks. Those are almost impossible to find. I think it's a
#7-19 3/4" High Low Thread Forming Screw. Digging:
http://www.eaglefastener.net/technical/hilo-fastener-table.html
My digital calipers claims it's a #7-19 and 19 tpi which seems about
right. Nothing on eBay. I can't seem to find any that I can order,
but will continue digging. I also need to verify the size, which
seems rather odd.

The screws I sent
you did not actually come from my 85, but from a newer 77.

Sigh. So I have to change my JPG again. Grumble(tm).

When asking around if anyone had any dead Flukes (trying to locate
that p-jfet for my 85),

If I have time, I'll try to identify the JFET for the Model 85. What
is the reference designator so I know which one?

I was given a 77 that was blasted by a microwave oven.

I just can't resist the temptation. What the [deleted explitive] was
someone thinking when they put the DVM in the oven? Is this the same
person that tried to dry their poodle in the micrwave?

The 77 didn't have the jfet I needed so I ended up fixing the 77
and returning it to the donator as a gift, but not before swapping
the screws with some generic screws I had as payment .

Nicely done.

Those I sent to you because there were three and I only had two
from the 85. Whew!

Thanks again.

I have about 5 assorted Fluke meters scattered around. Most are held
together with one screw and a rubber band. Most are the older models,
which take the high-low thread forming screws. I hadn't planned on
doing this for a while, but I guess now that I've started, it's time
to replace the missing parts, fix any battle damage, clean the crud
out of the guts, and calibrate the meters.

When I removed the chip from the socket, I found there was no
corrosion evident but two of the tangs in the socket came apart,
so I ordered a new socket and put the repair on hold until it arrives.

I have a bunch of these, which methinks will work (after I check the
height). I had the same problem with the existing socket. Where the
corrosive goo from the electrolytic or water rotted out the socket,
one of the contacts fell out. However, I cleaned the other contact,
which still works... for now. I guess I should stock up on replacment
electrolytics and just do a pre-emptive replacement. Sigh, the
project grows.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558