Sam Goldwasser

Default testing ATX power supply

"tempus fugit" writes:

Hey all;

A friend handed me her dead computer to see if I could get it up and
running. When you turn it on, nothing happens. No lights, no fans, nothing.
So, I figure it's either the power supply or the motherboard (at least).

I want to test the PS first, before just replacing it. It is an ATX 300w
supply. I connected an 8 ohm 10W resistor from red (+5v) to black (ground)
and turned it on, but nothing happened. I then turned it on and shorted the
green wire to ground, but still nothing. Can I assume the PS is dead, or is
there something else I should be doing?

Thanks

That should do it assuming your AC power is present.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.