Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default VFDs and line reactors questions

On Wed, 11 May 2016 13:49:44 -0500, Jon Elson

I have as yet not powered anything up but have read about problems,
one of them being drives failing from power surges upon powering up.
Apparently a line reactor helps to prevent damage from current surges
upon powering up.

VFDs should be desinged to handle the inrush surge. Small VFDs may use NTC
thermistors or resistor/SCR circuits, my big VFD (11 KW) has a contactor
that clunks a half second after power-on, so it uses a resistor and relay to
short the resistor after the cap bank is charged.

2.5 mH is sure not going to help much with the inrush surge.

Jon

Thanks Jon. Even though I'm pretty good at wiring up and fixing my
machines, both the mechanical and electronic parts, I still often need
some hand holding and/or guidance. Help from folks like you is really
appreciated.
Eric