Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default VFDs and line reactors questions

On 2016-05-11, Bob La Londe wrote:
wrote in message

To all youse high speed spindle guys,
I have now a new 2.2KW VFD and matching 24000 RPM spindle motor. I am
wondering how important line and load reactors are for this setup.
Especially the line reactor because the motor/VFD combo is supposed to
be matched and because the motor wires will be short, 6 feet or so.

[ ... ]

From what I have read you DO NOT need a line reactor for short runs. Some
writers disagree about what is considered short, but most say ten feet or
less. Some users have reported no problems with slightly longer runs. I do
use a shielded high flex cable between the VFD and the motor with the shield
going to the same common ground as the VFD. I just connect to the ground
screw on the VFD. I have not noticed any significant noise problems in my
shop with multiple computers running and two CNC machines with VFDs running
at the same time. I haven't even noticed any problems when welding when I
forgot, but I typically do not weld while a CNC machine is running.

And if you have the cable (unshielded) already -- you can try
with that for the run from VFD to motor and see whether there is any
interference. If you see what looks like some, get a roll of aluminum
foil, wrap it around the cable full length and ground it at the VFD end.
If what you considered to be interference goes away, then it is time to
spend the extra money for the shielded cable. Or route it through
flexible conduit which does a pretty good job at shielding anyway, and
protects the cable from abrasion.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--