Mark Spatny

Default how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

Daniel L. says...
I believe that if you are using DVD to record AUDIO that the RIAA holds
the rights for, then it would fall under the RIAA.

The RIAA doesn't hold the rights to anything. It is merely a trade
organization representing the interestes of the member major record
lables and producers. The record labels own the rights to the recordings
they distribute, and the song writers and composers hold the rights to
the lyrics and music, respectively. This is why royalties are paid to
song writers & composers through organizations like BMI, ASCAP, etc.
When you want to license a piece of music or a song, you contact the
appropriate rights holder, which is NEVER the RIAA.

The DVD consortium I believe is what sets the standards for DVD. I
don't think they control what is recorded.

Exactly. They control the format, which is the only control in the
system. Nobody "controls" the content. Control is an odd word in this
context. Anyone is free to record any property they own own the rights
to on DVD, without consulting with either the MPAA or RIAA.

This is why the so called "screener ban" imposed by the MPAA was
basically dismissed by courts, because the MPAA doesn't have the
authority to tell producers and distributors when and how they can
freely distribute the movies they created. The same goes for the RIAA.