Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default small motor "brush" material ?

On 10/05/2016 13:32, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 6:49:16 AM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:
This is the bruxsh material, wrong angle to see any 2/3 fingers
http://pacificstereo.net/motor/Mabuchi%20brushes.jpg

OK - that is a "between" motor after what I thought you were discussing:

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com...rg/lind-t1.jpg Look at the motor pictured on the box. These used spring-bronze brushes.

Your pictured motor is a substantial improvement over the older stuff, and those brushes are plated spring steel. As I remember, the plating was for wear, and the little black bits were for vibration damping. This goes back to my slot-car days, too long ago to admit to in cold blood. So I am not sure of the material and type of plating. I suspect a flash rather than a true 3-metal process - that would be too thick and too costly. With that in mind, I suspect tin as the material.

If you are looking for a stock material for making new ones, K&S has a line of hobby sheet goods all the way down to 40 gauge (0.0055") that would do. Typically their sheets sell in the US$7-10 range. The really thin stuff may be cut with sewing sheers, so there is no roll at the edge. You really don't need the tin as a somewhat shortened service life is of less moment given a near infinite supply of material.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I reckon it might be stainless steel, as in the almost foil thickness
you find in FDs and HDs . The original is spot welded to brass
standoffs, which tin would not necessarily require. I suspect st/st
would take arcing better.
Any way to avoid swaging something soderable to st/st fiddley foil, I'm
trying one of the phosphor-bronze and graphite brushes , there is enough
room to solder 3mm offset from the original line, to allow for the brush
thickness. Motor run for a couple of hours without hiccough