Posted to alt.home.repair
My 2 Cents My 2 Cents is offline

Default OT - ETQ generator not starting

On 5/9/2016 10:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Monday May 09, 2016

Maybe ten years ago, I bought a 1200 watt ETQ
generator. Two stroke gas mixer. Looks a
considerable lot like the Harbor Freight 800/900
watt generator. Layout of switches and sockets
and all.

When I ought the machine, pour in some gas
mix. Stared uup on three or four pulls. Very
quiet. Delivers electricity. I used it one
cold winter day when a guy I new had the power
shut off. I want to say March 01, 2007. Temps
near zero, and his house was old one with
probably no insulation. Ra fine to power his
furnace gas vanlve and blower.

Sadly, I ran the generatout out of gas, hoping
to lot let th fuel gum up. And it became hard
to start. Started on ether.

I pulled it out, Saturday, for a test run.
Pour in a splash of gas mix. Runs a half
second on ether, did that twice. And then
nothing. Pull and pull. Choke, and not choke.
Still, nothimg. I tried a different spark plug.
Tried the spark plug teter. Which is when I
find the spark is not there. Yes, switch is
on. Cycle the off switch a couple times.

What to check, next? The lawn mower shop near
me gets $80 labor rate per hour. And I paid
$130, post paid for the unit. Don't want to
take it to a shop.

what I'd do is take the air cleaner off, spray some choke cleaner or
starter spray in it and see if it fires. If not take the spark plug out
and see if it has any spark. If you can get it running on the carb
spray keep it running till it starts pickup up fuel from the carb or
clean the carb. If it's the spark not sparking you are in for a little
learning experience and I doubt if it's worth a new ignition module. I
had one of those that locked up.. I gave it away and I don't usually do
that but it only put out 800 watts on a good day and the coffee maker
takes 900 watts. Let's see what we can find on youtube....
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ll+generato r