Posted to alt.home.repair
burfordTjustice burfordTjustice is offline

Default OT - ETQ generator not starting

On Mon, 9 May 2016 11:03:24 -0400
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Monday May 09, 2016

Maybe ten years ago, I bought a 1200 watt ETQ
generator. Two stroke gas mixer. Looks a
considerable lot like the Harbor Freight 800/900
watt generator. Layout of switches and sockets
and all.

When I ought the machine, pour in some gas
mix. Stared uup on three or four pulls. Very
quiet. Delivers electricity. I used it one
cold winter day when a guy I new had the power
shut off. I want to say March 01, 2007. Temps
near zero, and his house was old one with
probably no insulation. Ra fine to power his
furnace gas vanlve and blower.

Sadly, I ran the generatout out of gas, hoping
to lot let th fuel gum up. And it became hard
to start. Started on ether.

I pulled it out, Saturday, for a test run.
Pour in a splash of gas mix. Runs a half
second on ether, did that twice. And then
nothing. Pull and pull. Choke, and not choke.
Still, nothimg. I tried a different spark plug.
Tried the spark plug teter. Which is when I
find the spark is not there. Yes, switch is
on. Cycle the off switch a couple times.

What to check, next? The lawn mower shop near
me gets $80 labor rate per hour. And I paid
$130, post paid for the unit. Don't want to
take it to a shop.

Pretty typical of the masses. Get a generator, test run it
and then let it sit for years. Power goes out , go get
generator and it no runs.
Tsk Tsk!
Go get a good one and run the damn thing at least every
8 weeks under a load.