Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Aladdin Isolator Valve

On 5/9/2016 6:40 PM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 May 2016 16:17:13 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 5/9/2016 3:43 PM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 May 2016 15:07:49 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 09/05/2016 15:02, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/05/2016 10:54, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 May 2016 10:35:09 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 5/9/2016 9:37 AM, GB wrote:
Aladdin Isolator Valve

http://www.screwfix.com/p/aladdin-ea...lator-starter-
pack/36008

I've just bought one, as I think the mains tap won't work in a
flat I'm going to be working in. Has anyone else here used one?
Seems a great idea, but I wonder what they are like in practice?

Anyone else find it slightly surprising that this works? Does it
completely shear the pipe, and insert a gate?

I can't work out where the excised bits go.

They probably get flattened at the back of the valve...

Ah, yes:

http://aladdin-products.co.uk/produc...yfit-isolator/

(that's also why there is a minimum drill torque spec, since it needs
the power to crush the pipe).

Ah, I see. The pipe slug ends up in the recess at the back of the
housing.

Very cunning, I can see the appeal as an "emergency fix". Not sure I
would want to fit one to my own system as the main "post-stop cock"
isolator, though.

Still not exactly clear about where "debris" goes, and exactly where the
sealing faces are.

Look at the FAQ tab; there's a nice diagram.

Silly bugger that I am, I missed that. So, as I speculated, it shears
the pipe completely, but then inserts a full bore ball valve unit
presumably with integral seals, the whole being sealed to the housing
with static O rings.

It's a cunning bit of design, especially as it works with metric and
both UK and Irish Imperial dimensions.