Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gravity fed drip irrigation for tomato plants

On 09/05/16 09:18, MM wrote:
On Sun, 8 May 2016 19:46:24 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 08/05/16 10:13, MM wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2016 00:59:54 +0100, T i m wrote:

If so it
may simply be that the ones nearest the butt are working at all? Are
they adjustable?

Not adjustable.

That's your problem. I have used Gardena, Hozelock, and Wilkinson's own
timers over many years, with any mix of their own and others' tubing and
drippers. The timers generally work OK, but one conclusion I can make is
that the drippers are reliably unreliable! Those drip heads which are
controlled by a little ball blocking the outlet are hopeless - only a
fraction work as intended.

You need the adjustable drippers which are controlled by a screw valve.
It's still a matter of trial and error to get the flow rates right, and
I can tell you that trying to set up a system for around 18 large tubs
can drive you mad! You can get 17 right, but the 18th will, for some
reason, throw one or more of the earlier ones out. So you adjust those,
and find they and 18 are fine, but 8, 12, and 15 are now not quite
right! And even if you get them all right, over a period of time one or
two will stop dripping at the original rates. Even so, they are much
better than the non-adjustable drippers.

I'll look into adjustable drippers. Got any recommendations as to
make?

I've only used Gardena, and they seemed to be ok. I bought them years
ago when a garden centre was stopping stocking them. They had a
basketful of various Gardena drip-watering stuff at less than 25% of
normal prices!

There are quite a few different ones listed he
http://www.twowests.co.uk/category/i.../drip-watering

--

Jeff