Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default small motor "brush" material ?

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 7:57:50 AM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:
On 09/05/2016 12:42, wrote:
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 6:25:34 AM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:
Trying to keep some 1960s junk going. Uses a long thin 1.5V motor so CD
motors won't fit.

The brush material is graphite often with various admixtures depending on the application, voltage and other requirements. There are thousands of types and at least dozens of sources for specific brushes, including Amazon.. Do a search for Aftermarket Motor Brushes.

I suggest you look for something close, and then careful application of a file or Dremel tool could do the rest. DO THIS AWAY from anything electrical as the carbon dust is very fine and very conductive. If done in doors, you will find that fine dust will travel many feet. Wear a particle mask as well, as it could also get into your lungs.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

That is the 3 motors I've broken into , the original has shim thick
tiny fingers of metal, flexed against the comutator.
Reminds me, last week, I was surprised to see 2 inch squares of gold
leaf in a food supermarket. Apparently some people eat this stuff, 23
carat gold foil, 2 such squares per pack, thickness not stated, 3GBP

I think gold leaf is used as a garnish on Indian sweets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vark

Something like that.

George H.