Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Driving with adaptive cruise control

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 10:02:46 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 05/09/2016 02:14 AM, gregz wrote:
Couple, three hundred for GM update. Awaiting for smart cruise for hills. I
usually end up using manual, so excessive gear shifting, and loud roaring
of engine, and gas gobbling is ended. It's OK to slow down on a steep hill
I say.

Be nice if they'd slow down going downhill too. I had cruise control on
a rental that I drove around upstate NY, VT, and NH. It didn't do well
in rolling hills.

Best cruise control I ever had was on a 1997 Dodge B2500 Conversion van. It
held the speed within 1.5 MPH on even the worst of the rolling hills.

I've had a dozen or so vehicles since then and none of them come close to
tightness of the Dodge's CC. I'm OK with speeding up on downhills somewhat,
but I seriously hate the uphill lag.

(I once got out of a speeding ticket by telling the trooper that it was a rental (true) and that I wasn't used to the CC (not so true). It really did
speed up on that long decline, but you can't blame the CC for that. He ended
up giving me a ticket for a noisy muffler on a car that had less than 6K
miles on it.)