Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Driving with adaptive cruise control

On 05/08/2016 11:06 PM, Don Y wrote:
Yeah, I know I have at least two different models that did.
I was originally surprised thinking "we're too high" (D'uh!
Of course we aren't! They're SATELLITES!!!)

My first GPS was a Garmin II back before SA was dropped. I'd go out into
the desert, find a section marker, and then try to navigate to another
one. I didn't have too much success. When you're looking for a ground
level marker hidden in the creosote bush, 100 meter accuracy didn't get
it. I found my first geocache with it with a lot of searching. I was
looking for another one when I saw a woman I worked with coming up the
trail and counting off the feet to the target. I decided it was time for
new technology.

I would select the airport I was flying into as my "destination"
to get an idea of my expected arrival time. And, look at the map
to see where we were presently. It's confusing, at first, cuz
you seem like you're flying a "curved" route but, in fact, it's
a straight one (in a spherical system)

I wound up taking AP calculus in high school in lieu of the spherical
trig that was the normal senior course. I can't say I missed much even
though I do a lot of GIS work these days. Fortunately, like most
programmers, I can implement the Vincenty algorithm without worrying
about the details.