Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Driving with adaptive cruise control

On 5/8/2016 4:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I still like and use paper maps. The GPS screen does not give you the big
overview that I want to have at times.

Prior to having the navigation system in SWMBO's vehicle, we'd use the
handheld GPS to tell us in which part of town a particular address was
located: "Ah, it's over on the northwest side..."

Then, zoom in to see particular (major) street names: "OK, it's southeast
of oracle and river". I.e., we know how to get to oracle and river
without a device telling us. And, if we'll be targeting the southeast
side, we'll know the right way to approach. The GPS will clue us in as to
whether it's the north/west side of a street or the south/east.

Often, I don"t uise the GPS until close
to my destination, then it takes me the last couple of miles to 1313
Mockingbird lane.

On our trip this past weekend I did not turn the nav on until I was maybe 10
miles from our destination because I knew how to get to the city. Next day wsd
different though. I wanted to go from Reihnbeck, NY to Lake George. I know
how to go on the highway, but wanted a more scenic route. I set the nav to
avoid highways and toll roads. It took us over the back roads and we saw a lot
that we would have missed on the highway. We were not interested in getting
there fast but to enjoy the ride. Worked.

I find SWMBO's navigation system to be helpful in predicting arrival times
*and* locating things like "Is Neo Melaka on Broadway or Speedway?" (I'm
pretty lousy when it comes to sorting out the names of major parallel
routes).

OTOH, I haven't sorted out how to constrain its search. "No, I'm not
looking for Penny's in Las Vegas! I *meant* Penney's, a mile from
HERE!" (unlike google, the car's navigation system doesn't have
much by way of heuristics!)