Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another ú20 bet won from an apprentice

On Sunday, 8 May 2016 18:15:24 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , polygonum
writes
On 08/05/2016 10:32, Richard wrote:
Why should it be wrong to speed? Sure, if there is loads of traffic and
one is weaving in and out of lanes it is wrong. If the road is almost
empty and the driver is competent it should not really be considered
'wrong'.

The argument should be whether the law needs to be changed to allow a
higher speed. You might not like it, you might have sound arguments
against it, but if the law says there is a 70 mph limit on a motorway,
then that should be adhered to. (Yes - loads of hypocrisy there.)

I think variable speed limits over 70mph would be OK now the technology
exists. At least it would get the BMWs and MERCs off my rear end.
Otherwise it should not be left to the driver to decide what is safe.

The variable speed limit system on the M25 is a great idea. But cutting corners on running costs make it mostly worse than useless.

NT