Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Driving with adaptive cruise control

On 5/8/2016 2:08 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/08/2016 11:38 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I have a Garmin gps that is nice,but the map update was close to $ 100.
I got a nicer new one with free map updates for around $ 150. Just
could not stand to pay almost as much for the map updates as for a whole
new gps with the lifetime updates.

iirc, I paid $90 for a plain jane Nuvi with lifetime free updates.

The other advantage of a hand-held GPS is that it is effectively a
portable *map*; discard all that paper from AAA/Rand McNally and
keep one of these in a desk drawer.

And, when you're trying to figure out where 1313 Mockingbird Lane
is located, you can just type it in and let the display pan to the
desired area -- instead of having to read all that micro-print on the
back of a paper map ("Let's see... G5... where the hell is 'G'?")!

OTOH, one advantage the GPS (navigation system) in the car has is
that it allows me to tell it which "roads" aren't really driveable.
E.g., the back entrance to our subdivision has a locked gate so
all the routes that try to direct us in/out that way are "wrong".
In the car, I can tell the nav system about this and it will
work around it. Not possible with any of my hand-held GPS's.

And, of course, car GPS's have no idea how to get somewhere ON FOOT
(or bicycle)!

All (except google maps) are lousy if *you* want to lay out a
route and determine how long it is.