Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default Driving with adaptive cruise control

On Sun, 8 May 2016 11:27:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2016 11:19 AM, Buster wrote:

I was at a car dealership the other day and overheard the service
manager telling a customer a GPS map update would cost $820 for their
car. Good ****ing grief!

When I left in my plain-Jane model car, I kissed my $120 Garmin nüvi
(with free lifetime map updates) and told her I loved her. ;-)

My friend told me he liked his cell phone GPS better than the
dedicated GPS he'd had. But the dealer still charged 520 dollars to
move the cell phone from one car to the next.

My friend asked, Why so much? And he was told that there were
separate charges for uninstalling in the old car and installing in the
new one, but that if he bought a new GPS, he wouldn't have to pay the
uninstall charge.

Sounds like robbery. Mine would be $99. Still too much considering
everything, but I see no reason to update very often. In the area I
usually travel they don't move the roads around much.

Hey, it's like that here too! I still use paper maps around here
from 1984, and when I travel, I've used one from 1974. It has a
couple interstates missing, but most of the important ones were built
befeore then.

(I will preview the location of some place i'm going to with google
maps.)

Mostly it is the
POIs that change and I don't use that feature often.

This summer I'm going out to find the pumpkin patch where Whitaker
Chambers passed spy data, he said, to Alger Hiss. It's nearby but
not a POI marked on anyone's map.

I've not used my Garmin since I got a car with nav in 2012. I do use it
for Europe though so I update it when we go.